Painting detail courtesy of Richard McKinley
Top of Page
BECOMING A MEMBER: START A PASTEL SOCIETY
I. HOW TO BEGIN A PASTEL SOCIETY
- Find other interested artists in your area:
- Contact Arts organizations, arts councils, art centers, art schools, art galleries, art museums,
art societies, and local art supply stores
- Run advertisements for local artists in local newspapers or tabloids
- Post on your facebook page, LinkedIn, blog, or other social media site.
- When you have artist contacts:
- Invite them to a get-together and explain reasons for getting together as a pastel society, such as
society membership shows, national exhibitions, plein air painting, critiques, sketch with models,
still life painting, etc.
- Decide where to meet: private homes, art centers, or for on location painting areas (plein air)
- As your group grows:
- Arrange exhibitions at local venues in your area, such as restaurants, libraries, art centers, schools,
churches, community centers, etc.
- Set up a meeting with your group to choose an Interim Board of Directors
(For advice on first steps to organizing you may contact Red Weber, IAPS Executive Director at email@example.com)
- Board of Directors should include President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer
- All the above officers should be elected when group is established
- Decide on membership requirements
- Decide on number of meetings per year
- Create a mission statement to include the promotion and education of pastel as a fine art medium
- Plan programs
- Create by-laws
- Choose a name and logo. To be an IAPS Member the word “pastel” must be in the society’s name.
- Set up a bank account
- Establish an address, preferably a P.O. Box under the society name
- Develop a Society website
II. BECOMING A MEMBER SOCIETY OF IAPS
- Must have a minimum of 10 dues paying members
- Executive Committee must have 4 positions, President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Society name must contain the word "pastel"
- Societies must be not-for-profit
- Have as it primary purpose the advancement and recognition of the use of pastels as a fine art medium.
- Sponsor or conduct at least one art exhibition or competition each year limited to works rendered in pastels, whether or not such exhibitors or contestants are restricted to membership in the particular society or association.
- Register with the International Association of Pastel Societies by contacting the Membership Chair to register the name of the Society, your officers, and their contact information (address, email, phone). Membership Chair will provide online access information and password to setup your new society.
- Pay Membership Dues
- All Member Societies dues are $150.00 per year.
- Dues are to be paid in January each year. They are to be paid online.
III. IAPS MEMBER SOCIETY PRIVILEGES
- Vote to fill vacancies on the Board of Directors of IAPS when requested.
- Vote on all questions submitted by the Board of Directors of IAPS.
- Submit names of candidates to be Directors of IAPS
- All society members are listed on the IAPS web site.
- Listing on the IAPS Member Society Directory and Map
- A Society Showcase page, displaying up to three member paintings
- Post your National Exhibition Calls for Entry on the IAPS website - including a link to your Prospectus
- Post your Society-sponsored workshops on the IAPS website
- Communication and networking opportunities with pastel artists from around the world!
IV. BENEFITS FOR INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF IAPS MEMBER SOCIETY
- May participate in various activities conducted by IAPS at the Biennial Convention such as
workshops, exhibitions, demonstrations, etc.
- All IAPS members are eligible to submit artwork for jury in all IAPS Exhibitions including:
– online, gallery, museum, and convention shows.
- Individual members of member societies may list IAPS membership on their resumes.
- Individual members of member societies who have achieved their Master Circle or Eminent Pastelist status may use IAPS/MC or IAPS/EP after their name.
- May attend the Biennial Convention at a discounted rate.
V. CONTACT INFORMATION